In class we have been talking about the mistreatment of minorities by outside elements in the United States. This especially concerns African Americans and the constant mistreatment in society. African Americans were discriminated against by the police in the 1960s, and in my opinion, I don't think that much has changed since then. We still see several headlines of African Americans being killed by the police over trivial disputes. This is commonplace in the modern world, the sheer number of these is so high that it makes you wonder, how is our world different from the 1960s? In my opinion, it isn't different and it never will deviate from the past unless we can learn to truly accept each other and give each other equal right and liberties, no matter the race of the individual. The constant threat that minorities still face in the United States is great, and it is not only with African Americans, other races are also discriminated against based solely off of their appearance. For example, Muslims in the United States also are having issues in the post 9-11 world based off of distant terrorist organizations that don't represent Islam the way that it is supposed to be represented. As a result, Muslims are discriminated against. Can we truly progress unless we learn to accept each other?
I honestly hope that we will be able to progress and accept each other. I feel that we are headed in the right direction though. In every school I have been to, I have been taught to accept absolutely everybody. This has lead me to the point in which I will often forget that a person who I am talking to is technically a part of a different race then myself. Unfortunately, there are still places in which this is not taught to children. Instead, these children are raised in racist environments and taught to be racist. I hope one day we will be able to solve this problem.
ReplyDelete